SCHOOL TIP #1: How Do I Build My Team?
Reaching Goal #1: Building Your Team
Goal #1 is all about building your team. To reach this goal you will need to complete the following:
- A teacher and/or student-lead group should be formed to implement the campaign.
- The Fair Trade committee provides leadership and direction for your campaign objectives and drives awareness. Parents can and should be encouraged to participate where appropriate.
|Building strong leadership||Have clear roles and responsibilities. Structure your team by delegating roles such as social media coordinator, meeting chair, presentation coordinator, etc.|
|Stakeholder involvement||Build a diverse committee . Brainstorm ways to connect with students, teachers, parents, and admin if possible to be on the committee. Present your campaign to different classes (History, English, Science, etc.) to find the most diverse group.|
|Having steady attendance and continued involvement of team members||Always have food (like pizza!), pick a consistent time and place to meet, always have something fun planned on the agenda – don’t make it just about getting stuff done. Also make sure the chair is delegating tasks so that everyone can be involved as much as possible.|
Guidelines to help prepare yourself for the new school year:
- Identify your friends, clubs, classes etc. that are interested in the issues that Fair Trade addresses (social, environmental, and economic issues)
- Find a teacher, faculty member or parent who is willing to serve as advisor
- Find 2 or 3 classes to show a short informational Fair Trade video to promote your first meeting
- Host your first meeting and define the goal(s) of your campaign (goal examples: become a fair trade school by end of year, get fair trade bananas in the cafeteria, host a fair trade assembly in 2015 – get creative!)
Answer the Question: What has worked? Tell us how you have been able to build your team!